Live Groups wishlist
Yesterday I wrote an email to someone with a list of features that I’d like to see in Live Groups when it gets released and when I’ve finished I thought "Hey, that’d make for a good blog entry". So, here it is. Features I would like to see in Live Groups:
- Each Live Group should have a dedicated homepage such as http://mygroup.groups.live.com
- Each Live Group will have an "administrator" and I assume that will be the person that created it. The administrator should have the ability to add other people as administrators
- Each Live Group could have its own dedicated Live Calendar for displaying events pertinent to that group. Live Group administrators have the option to add things to the calendar, all members of the group can view it
- A gadget should exist for displaying a Live Calendar agenda thus allowing us to display the aforementioned Calendar on the Live Group homepage
- Each Live Group should have the option to display a KML collection that is made up of the locations of all members of that Live Group and which is then displayed on a Live Map.
- Assuming the last bullet is actioned, each member should have the option to expose their location details to other people in the group. Currently the options for who to expose personal information to is limited to (something like) all contacts or a handpicked subset thereof – we should have the option to expose individual items of personal information to a Live Group. In a way this is very much like how Active Directory groups and users works. It would require significant work in the Contacts infrastructure although I’ve heard whisperings that this might already have happened.
- A Live Groups API should allow us to discover all the Live Groups that a person is a member of.
- There should be a Spaces gadget that allows us to display all of the groups that we are members of (this would use the aforementioned API)
- Each Live Group should have a discussion forum. Discussion threads should be available via an RSS feed.
- Live Groups that we are members of should be exposed to our Messenger contacts in Live Messenger
- http://contacts.live.com should be a page dedicated to managing contacts and Live Groups. Currently it just redirects to a rather rubbish subpage in Hotmail.
- A Live Group homepage should be either publicly available or only available to members of that group.
- All our existing contact groups become Live Groups.
- Each Live Group homepage needs to have a fully customisable layout, background and content.
- When one of my friends joins or leaves a group I want to see it on my Spaces "What’s New" feed.
Any more ideas out there?