More on storing Messenger conversations on the Mesh
3 weeks ago I wrote a blog entry Storing Messenger conversations on the Mesh where I said:
Currently I don’t save my Live Messenger conversations … Wouldn’t it be cool if all of our Messenger conversations were automatically saved to the Mesh? That way every conversation I have would be recorded and I would be able to search through them all as well.
I made the same suggestion on the Live Mesh forum along with some reasons why this would be a good idea and whilst there was general support for the idea it was suggested that instead I configure Messenger to automatically store all of my conversations and then sync the "C:UsersjamieDocumentsMy Received Files<ID>" folder using Mesh. This I did and its been working pretty well for me (I recommend trying it for yourself) and now, as you can see below, I have a history of all of my Messenger conversations synchronised across all of my machines:
After using this for a few weeks now though I have realised that there are some fallacies to this approach that could be alleviated by having Messenger automatically store conversations to Mesh; those being:
- All conversations with the same person are stored in the same file thus if you have a conversation with the same person on different machines then there will likely be a file conflict. When you resolve that conflict then at least one of the conversations gets lost.
- The Mesh client is a pre-requisite.
- Conversations done on the web using a Messenger web interface don’t get captured anywhere.
- Files that are transferred don’t get stored.
- Anything done in the Activity window is lost.
- Audio conversations are lost.
- Video conversations are lost.
All of these could be alleviated if Messenger was "Meshified". Let me just clarify what I mean by that; it does not mean that all your Messenger conversations need to be conducted on www.mesh.com, it means that the Messenger service in the cloud (the one through which orchestrates all Messenger conversations) becomes responsible for storing your conversations on the Mesh.
I’m going to be actively campaigning for the Messenger team to implement this. Is anyone with me?