New Today screen makes Hotmail the world’s best social inbox!
Some changes to Hotmail are hitting our internet browsers today. One of them, Quick Add, is already known about however a nice surprise awaits for anyone that uses Hotmail’s Today page. Essentially what we now see is a cut down version of http://home.live.com comprising our What’s New feed, headlines from MSN and network suggestions.
There are some differences though that are both subtle and engaging:
- Rather than our entire What’s New feed we see updates only from those people in our Network listed as favourites.
- There is a link called “Surprise me” which shows what’s new updates from a random selection of your contacts
- Upcoming birthdays are listed
- We see suggestions for people that could be added to our network rather than a link to another page to see those suggestions
- There is a small space for Microsoft to show messages to users so as to educate them as to what other things are available on Windows Live
There is another surprise waiting for us too. Upon sending a mail we see what’s new updates from those people that we have just emailed if they have chosen to share their what’s new feed with us.
Overall I’m quite impressed; I was genuinely pleasantly surprised to log on and see this today. Moreover, I’m excited to see whether or not friends of mine that use Hotmail currently will be more drawn into using other features of Windows Live; I would expect these new features to be VERY compelling when Facebook updates start appearing on our What’s new feed as well.
N.B. If you don’t see the Today screen when you log onto Hotmail then simply head to http://mail.live.com and click on “Today” in the bottom left hand corner.